New York Troopers - History
Preserving the Past for Those Who Follow
 
.
Login


  

 . 

During the early 1900s, a group of prominent New York State citizens calling themselves the Committee for a State Police lobbied the state's legislature to provide protection to law abiding citizens residing in rural areas of the state. Their persistence came to fruition on April 11, 1917, when the Mills-Wells Bill was passed by a single vote creating a Department of State Police. Under Chapter 161 of the Laws of New York, $500,000.00 was appropriated to purchase horses, uniforms, suitable equipment, supplies, pay salaries and select sites for troop headquarters.
 
On June 15, 1917 the first group of 23 troopers were sworn in at Manlius, NY. The entire force numbering 232 arrived a short time later where intense training took place in, horsemanship, firearms, criminal law, procedure law, first aid, report writing and patrol tactics. Training ended on September 5, 1917 with each designated troop contingent traveling to their area of responsibility. Four troops were designated headquartered in Batavia (Troop A), Schenectedy (Troop G), Onondaga Hill (Troop D) & White Plains (Troop K), NY. 
 
 
The Troopers History is now available as an eBook at:
Barnes & Noble - www.bn.com  or 
AMAZON - www.amazon.com 
 
 
 
 
Downloadable to: PCs,Macs,iPads,iPhone,iPad touch, Amazon
or B&N ereader/tablet devices